Step 1: Create a Account With Digital Ocean
- Sign up using our link and receive a $10 in credit. (30 days using a 30gb SSD with 1gb of ram package)
- Active the account via the link sent to your email address from DigitalOcean
Step 2: Create a Droplet
Once the account is created, you are going to want to create a droplet. A Droplet is Virtual computer that you are going to install WordPress onto.
- Click on the “One-click apps” Tab.
- Once you are on the One click app menu, scroll down till you see WordPress in the bottom right.
- Select WordPress along with a VPS size. Normally the $10/mo package is suitable for most companies.
- Choose a data center region: It does take time for data to be sent thousands of miles over the web, so select a location that is closest to your customers. If you can pick a place that is in the middle, that would be the best place.
- Choose a Hostname: This can be Anything you want, but we recommend you naming it the same as the domain name.
- Create the Droplet: and then we can setup the nameservers.
Step 3- Setting up the Domain in Digital Ocean
- After creating the droplet, you are going to want to click on the networking menu. @ https://cloud.digitalocean.com/networking/domains
- Domain: Enter the domain you want this webserver to be pointed at.
- Droplet or Custom IP: Select the Droplet name we just created in step 2.
- Create the record
Step 4 – Creating a New Password
Digital Ocean will send an email with the login information of your new web server you just set up. You are going to need to know the password and username when in the terminal.
If you go back to the Droplets page @ https://cloud.digitalocean.com/droplets
You can find the droplet you just created.
- Under the More Menu – You will want to select Access Console. You are going to be setting a new password for the server, and then you can setup the wordpress login information
- Login as: root
- Enter the password DigitalOcean email to you.
*Note with linux, you will not see the password while you are entering it. It will Ask for it twice.
- Once you enter the default password twice, it will request you enter a new password.
- Once the password is changed, you can close the console.
Step 5: Adding Digital Ocean nameservers to the domain.
If you have not created/bought a domain yet. Create a account and buy a domain with NameCheap
The digital ocean default nameservers that work for everyone.
Once you have paid for the domain, you can setup the nameservers at the Domain List menu @ https://ap.www.namecheap.com/Domains/DomainOnly
- Select Custom DNS, and enter the nameservers above in here.
- You are finished setting up the server now!!!
Head to www.yourdomain.com and create your wordpress account profile/password.
Still confused? Dont worry, it took me awhile to figure this all out as well. Managed servers really make life nice when you dont have to worry about the tech side of things.